Recapping GCUC Online 2020
April 22, 2020
Despite these unusual times, the coworking industry remains united, fostering community and supporting its members. For example, in lieu of gathering in-person for the annual GCUC (Global Coworking Unconference Conference) event this Spring, Workspace Geek and our peers convened digitally on April 21 for GCUC Online. Sessions focused on COVID-19, health & wellness, air quality, technology, finances and more.
We appreciated the insight many presenters shared about COVID-19 and its impact on workspace operators, and are hopeful about the prognosis for the future of our industry.
Below are a few of our takeaways from the first-ever GCUC Online conference:
- The industry may never look the same post-COVID-19, and “bouncing back” will be a slow process.
- But there’s hope! The coworking platform is resilient. In fact, some believe this may be coworking’s moment. Many people have found themselves forced to work from home, a setup that’s less productive and less private than a coworking environment. Some will seek a return to a more structured office environment.
- In Shanghai, for instance, a coworking space opened in early February at 5% capacity, and at the end of the month, they had extended their hours as they were over-occupied.
- Now is the time to conserve cash, decrease debt and expenses, and apply for government loans to stay afloat. Do whatever it takes to hang on to the clients you have.
- Show compassion and empathy to clients and prospects during this time.
- Stay connected and check in regularly.
We know our clients (and their clients!) are facing uncharted and uncertain territory. The small and dedicated team at Workspace Geek is here to help you navigate those waters a little easier by providing solutions for managing your centers, even if you’re doing so in new and unconventional ways. We welcome the opportunity to talk with you about your goals and about how we might help you achieve them.
Feel free to contact us anytime.
Cheers and good health,
The Workspace Geek Team